24 January, 2013

WINTER LEMON TEA

When I was a child my mom would often make me this sweet winter drink; hot tea would instantly warm me up, lemon nurtured my body with much-needed vitamin C, and sugar ... well, sugar was there for taste and to ensure I would ask for more lemony tea next day.
Once I grew up and move out of my parents' place I completely forgot about this simple treat. Until one cold day, when I was craving something warm and comforting for a chilly evening. I found a lonely lemon in my fridge and it brought memories of the sweet drink from my childhood.


There is no strict recipe for this drink. In fact, after you try the lemon version you might want to experiment with other tangy fruits and berries (I feel that cranberries would be great in this). For the lemon version you will need ... um ... half a lemon, some sugar, and black tea.


Begin by brewing your tea. You want it strong, but not bitter.  While tea is steeping, cut a thick slice of lemon. Drop it in a large mug and add sugar (1 or 2 teaspoons). With a teaspoon smash your lemon slice so it releases as much juice as possible. Do not be shy, really go at it.  You now should have a sweet-and-sour slurry in your mug.


Pour black tea over the slurry, and stir well to dissolve sugar.  At this point you might want to try your drink and add extra sugar or lemon juice to adjust flavour.
Your tea is ready and there is nothing wrong with drinking it at this point.  In fact, that's what I usually do.  However if you want to be fancy, strain it to get rid of lemon pulp and add a fresh slice of lemon for decoration. 


What you need

  • lemon slice (1/2 thick)
  • 2 tsp sugar
  • 1-2 cup black tea

What to do

  • Brew tea according to instructions
  • In a mug smash lemon slice and sugar to create a slurry.  Add tea, mix, adjust flavour
  • Strain (optional) and serve garnished with a thin lemon slice

As I said, you might want to experiment with different fruits (peeled grapefruits, cranberries, or even oranges) and flavours - mint or ginger would make for a great addition to the mix.  And something tells me that a shot of alcohol may be interesting in this hot, comforting drink.  Hmmm, I wonder where Eric put that bottle of bourbon?? ;)

_____
A year ago: LONG STITCH BINDING TUTORIAL part1

No comments:

Post a Comment