As promised, here is the first breakfast for the BREAKFAST CLUB series: asparagus eggs Benedict with orange-flavoured Hollandaise sauce.
This was my first attempt at eggs Benedict and they turned out so amazingly good. I have to warn you, this is not a breakfast dish you can make in a hurry, it's more of a weekend brunch type-of-thing. You also want to think about the order of things: what do you cook first eggs or asparagus? Do you begins with toasting English muffins or making Hollandaise sauce?
Originally I thought of saving time by making blender Hollandaise but it turned out that "cooking" the sauce does not take very long so I opted for a classical version of the sauce.
As for the order of things I started by preparing asparagus. While it was steaming I whisked the sauce. After that I prepared eggs and while they were poaching I "cooked" the sauce and toasted English muffins.
And now on with the recipe:
What you need:
(for 4 portions)
- 4 eggs
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- 2 English muffins
- 15-20 asparagus spears
orange-flavoured Hollandaise sauce:
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/3 to 2/3 cups of butter
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 3-4 tbsp orange juice
- 1 tsp grated orange zest
What to do:
- Bring a big pot of water to boil. Prepare asparagus by snapping off woody ends.
- Blanch or steam asparagus until bright green and crispy (2-4 minutes). To avoid overcooking shock it in an ice bath.
- Bring a medium-sized pot of water to boil. Add vinegar and turn down heat to medium to avoid strong bubbling.
- Carefully break an egg into a small cup/ramekin making sure that the yolk stays intact.
- Gently pour the egg into the boiling water. If the white separates too much, use a slotted spoon to bring it all together.
- Repeat with the rest of the eggs.
- Cook for 3 minutes. Carefully remove poached eggs with a slotted spoon and set on the paper towel to dry. You can also keep poached eggs in warm water while making the Hollandaise sauce.
orange-flavoured Hollandaise sauce
- In a small sauce pot melt butter. Skim off foam.
- Whisk egg yolks, lemon juice, and mustard until well combined.
- Slowly whisk in warm butter. Transfer to the sauce pot and thicken over medium heat, constantly stirring.
- Remove from the heat, add orange juice and zest. Mix thoroughly.
to assemble eggs Benedict
- Toast English muffins. Set half of the muffin onto the plate and pour about 1/2 tbsp of Hollandaise sauce.
- Cut 4 or 5 asparagus spears in halves and arrange on the muffin half.
- Arrange one poached egg on top of asparagus and spoon 3-4 tablespoons of warm Hollandaise sauce.