05 June, 2013

EVERYDAY BREAKFAST

While I greatly enjoy crepes and french toasts I rarely, or should I say never, have time to make them during the week.  Elaborate and time consuming breakfasts, like eggs Benedict or pancakes are usually reserved for slow weekend mornings.


For my every day breakfasts I've tried adopting North American classic - milk and cereal - and the oh-so-popular green smoothies but they do not keep me full for long.  After several attempts of finding my perfect, filling, and easy-to-make breakfast I've tried muesli, but instead of mixing them with milk I've added some yogurt and was very happy with the flavour and texture!
It has been over 5 years since my first yogurt and muesli breakfast and ever since most of my mornings start with a mix of seasonal fruit, muesli, and some yogurt (drinkable or thick).



Up until last year I would use a store-bought muesli mix (Jordans is my personal favourite) but in my attempts to make more kitchen staples from scratch I've been mixing my own muesli.

what you need

  • 2 parts raw cereal mix (mine comes from Bulk Barn and has everything, from millet to flax seeds in it.  You can easily make your own mix using millet, barley flakes, flax seeds, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, hemp seeds, etc.)
  • 4 parts steel cut oats
  • 1/2 part chopped dried fruits (raisins, cranberries, dates, prunes, dried apricots, pineapples, etc)

what to do

  • mix all ingredients and store in a large airtight container
  • in the morning chop some fruits, add the muesli mix and yogurt, and enjoy.  You can sprinkle your everyday muesli with chopped nuts, seeds, or granola for extra crunchiness
  • easy, fast, filling, and delicious!!!


What is your favourite everyday breakfast?

_____
A year ago: SPROUTING 101
Two years ago: WEEKEND COLOURS

No comments:

Post a Comment