Last week, when such a craving got extra strong, I decided to make lemon curd. While searching for a recipe I've discovered a fool-proof way of making SMOOTH LEMON CURD over at Fine Cooking. You absolutely have to try this technique no matter whether it's your first time making the curd or whether you are a lemon curd pro.
The recipe yields a little bit over 2 cups of curd. Turns out this is too much curd for the three of us. So to use the leftovers (a little over a cup) I made a lemon curd coffee cake. The original MEYER LEMON COFFEE CAKE recipe comes from Martha Stewart. Liren at Kitchen Confidante adapted the recipe to make MEYER LEMON COFFEE CAKE WITH ALMOND STREUSEL. Both recipes use a 9-inch angel food cake pan. Since I could not find one I used a regular size loaf pan and four small loaf pans for cute "petit fours".
What you need:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
8 tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons lemon zest
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup thick yogurt (or sour cream)
1 cup lemon curd
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl beat butter, granulated sugar, and lemon zest until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time and then vanilla. Add flour mixture in 3 batches, alternating with yogurt.
- Spoon 1/2 of the batter into the buttered cake pan and smooth evenly. Add the lemon curd on top, making sure to leave a border from the inner and outer perimeter (you do not want the curd to spill out of the cake). Top with the remaining batter. Note: Do not fill the pan up to the rim - the cake will almost double in size while cooking.
- Bake until golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean (40-50 minutes).
- The original Martha Stewart's recipe calls for lemon glaze (easy and fast). Liren uses almond streusel topping for her cake. I opted for powdered sugar.
And since this beautiful lemon curd cake is so yummy in the morning I am including it in my BREAKFAST CLUB series. Just remember to enjoy in moderation!
Fine Cooking - CLASSIC LEMON CURD
Kitchen Confidante - LEMON MEYER COFFEE CAKE WITH ALMOND STREUSEL
Martha Stewart - MEYER LEMON COFFEE CAKE
More BREAKFAST CLUB recipes