1. Begin by gathering tools and supplies:
- your tag (page, atc)
- acrylic paint (I've used white)
- gesso (optional but helps to seal all the layers)
- modeling paste for extra texture
- mod podge
- crackle paint (I've used in on the SPRING TAG but not on this one).
Cover your tag with a layer of gesso, dry, and apply a layer of acrylic paint. Don't worry about being thorough or getting a uniform finish - this is simply a base coat.
3. Time to add texture
Glue pieces of paper onto your tag. Cover the whole tag with a layer of acrylic paint.
4. Let's make it even more elaborate
Using modeling paste adhere cheese cloth. Modeling paste is quite thick making it easy to create ridges and designs. Use a piece of cardboard rather than a brush, when working with the paste.
Once the paste is fully dried (it might take a bit of time) glue more papers, lace, or cloth using mod podge.
Here I've added lace, painted the whole tag white, glued more paper, and painted once again.
6. A close up look at the texture. Now it's time to add crackling paint (optional).
7. Once all the layers are glued, cover your work with a final layer of paint (or gesso) and enjoy the vintage texture.