20 November, 2006

Pizza

Inspired by the latest "vegan_cookoff" theme and the Amazon order that I've received I decided to finally make pizza.


For the dough I followed the recipe from "Nonna's Italian Kitchen : Delicious Home-Style Vegan Cuisine":

1 1/4 cups of lukewarm water
1/2 tbsp baking yeast
1/2 tsp unbleached sugar
3 1/4 cups unbleached flour
1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 tbsp salt

After "testing" the yeast by combining it with water and sugar and letting it stand for 10 minutes (it suppose to froth up, but mine didn't); I've mixed the flour, oil, and salt. I've kneaded dough for good 8 minutes until it became nice and uniform and made a ball out of it.

Note: it is better to mix in only half of flour the first time, let the dough rest for a bit and then continue with the rest of flour, oil, and salt.

The ball was placed in a bowl, where it sitted, covered with a towel, for an hour. It doubled in size and then I punched it down and kneaded just a bit more.

Note: the more times the dough will rise and "fall" the more "puffy" would it come out at the end (a tip from my hairdresser)

I used only half of the dough (the other hald is waiting wrapped in plastic in the fridge) and roll a nice crust for the pizza. As I've learned, it doesn't have to be too thin, unless you want a very thin-crust pizza, like the one I made.


Then I made Chuncky Tomatoe Sauce:

1 can of diced tomatoes with herbs
4 garlic cloves minced
1/2 tbs ground oregano
1 tbs grlound basil
1 tbsp olive oil

Sautee garlic in oil for 3-5 minutes. Add tomatoes and spices. Bring to boil and simmer for 10 minutes.


Melty White Cheez from Joanne Stepaniak's "The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook"

1 1/2 cups of soy milk
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1/4 cup flour
2 tbsp sesame tahini
2 tbsp cornstarch (kuzu or arrowroot)
2 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp onion powder
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder

Blend all the ingridients until completely smooth.
Cook over medium-high heat, stirring almost constantly with a whisk until very thick.
Extra: I added couple of drops of liquid smoke and it turned out great.

And the toppings:

Tofurky Italian Sausage
Marinated artichokes (my boss gave a huge jar of those)
Mushrooms
Green peppers
Onions

I arranged everything but "cheese" on top of the dough and put it in the oven for 10 minutes. Once the pizza was ready, I've spread the cheese and ..... mmmmmmmm was it ever good!!!

Note: to speed up the process prepare the toppings while the dough is rising and make cheese once pizza is in the oven

Today my pizza received a highest possible compliment - a colleague of mine (very picky eater who thinks that all vegan food is weird) tried a piece and LOVED it! I am making more pizza for her this week!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment