03 November, 2009

Peanut and Squash Soup

The peanut butter squash soup is my all time favorite. It's only due to my love for weird food combinations that I decided to make it for the first time (I was not a big fan of either squash or peanut butter back then, but 2 minuses are usually equal to 1 plus, right?) and was it ever yummmy. I think I will never have enough of this one...... I should make it for supper today!!!!!

Hailing from Senegal, this mildly spicy, slightly sweet soup would be well complemented by a side of stewed collard greens or Swiss chard. 

Image from Cooking Light
 1 1/2 tsp peanut oil
4 cups (1/2-inch) cubed peeled butternut squash
1 cup chopped onion
2 tbsp minced garlic (about 6 cloves)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cumin (I've put the whole spoon and added more once the soup was ready)
1/4 tsp ground coriander (I've put the whole spoon and added more once the soup was ready)
4 cups vegetable stock
3/4 cup reduced-fat creamy peanut butter
2 tbsp tomato paste
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
  • Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
  • Add squash and next 5 ingredients (through coriander); sauté 5 minutes or until onion is tender. 
  • Add broth, peanut butter, tomato paste, and pepper, stirring well to combine; bring to a boil. 
  • Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes or until the squash is tender. Sprinkle with cilantro.
  • Yield: 6 servings (serving size: about 1 cup)

No comments:

Post a Comment