This recipe comes from the Real Simple magazine.
|Image from Real Simple|
Gala and Rome Beauty apples are ideal for baking because they retain their shape.
4 large apples
1/4 cup golden raisins
3/4 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup (about 2 ounces) walnut pieces
2 tbsp unsalted butter, cut into pieces
Ice cream (optional)
- Heat oven to 400° F.
- Using a paring knife, remove the cores and trim about a 1/2-inch slice from the bottom of each apple, so they sit flat.
- Place the apples in an ovenproof skillet or 8- to 9-inch baking dish. Drizzle with the syrup.
- Divide the walnuts and raisins among the apples, filling the cavities, and place any extra in the dish.
- Dot the apples with the butter. Bake until tender, 40 to 50 minutes.
- If using a baking dish, pour the liquid from the dish into a skillet. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook until it thickens slightly, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Spoon the sauce over the warm apples and serve with the ice cream, if desired.
Yield: Makes 4 servings