Here is a soup recipe that my friend found in one of her cookbooks. It's very easy to make and full of flavour. Feel free to modify and adapt it to your taste:
Cilantro and Chickpea Soup
The original recipe:
4-5 garlic clove, minced
1 big bunch of parsley, chopped
1 can of chickpeas
~5 cups of vegetable stock.
1-2 tsp of olive oil
Lemon juice to taste
In a big sauce pan heat oil.
Add garlic and parsley and sauté for 2-3 minutes on medium heat.
Add chickpeas and sauté for another 2 minutes.
Add broth, bring to boil, simmer for 4-5 minutes.
Serve hot and add some lemon juice to the plate.
I also made it with 2 small potatoes (I added them at the same time as chickpeas and simmered soup for a bit longer, until potatoes were cooked) and some frozen corn. Since I love cilantro I tend to use 1/2 bunch of parsley and 1/2 bunch of cilantro (coriander).
25 February, 2009
|Image from Wish|
2 Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled, parboiled and cut in 1/4-inch cubes
2 tbsp olive oil (more for brushing phyllo)
1 cup finely diced onion
1 garlic clove, minced
3 cups sliced button mushrooms
3 cups sliced shiitake mushrooms
2 tbsp white wine (you can use vegetable broth instead)
4 tbsp of fresh parsley
1 tbsp of fresh terragon
1 tsp of dried oregano
1 tsp of lemon garlic
3 sheets of phyllo dought
- To parboil potatoes, cut them in quarters and boil for 5 minutes.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- Cook onion and garlic until soft, then add button mushrooms and saute until lightly browned. Add this mixture to the parboiled potatoes.
- Heat remaining olive oil in the same pan and cook shiitake mushrooms until golden. Add shiitakes to potato mixture.
- Deglaze pan with white wine and add to potato-mushroom mixture. Gently mix in herbs. Season with salt and pepper.
- Lay one sheet of phyllo on a clean, dry surface and brush with a small amount of oil. Continue layering with two more sheets of phyllo, brushing each side with oil.
- Place mushroom mixture ver the lower third of the phyllo layers. Roll up the strudel, tucking in the sides to seal-in the mixture, and place on a parchment-lined baking tray.
- Brush the outside of the strudel with small amount of oil and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Bake strudel for 20 minutes, rotate tray and lower heat to 350 F, and bake for 20 more minutes until golden brown.
- Serves 6
You can use different herbs for the recipe. Also I would recommend using 4 or 5 sheets of phyllo.